Thursday, March 24, 2011

I, Knut

I, Knut
am now kaputt.
My back left leg went very odd
and German woman yelled "Oh mein Gott".

I turned around to try to see
my leg moving spasmodically
going up and down
repeatedly.
And down and up
and up and down.
But my leg kept moving the other way
so what caused it I could not say.

"Oh mein Gott"
There it was again.
When I was young people would call 'Oh mein Gott'
and I didn't have to do a lot
just walk and swim and eat a bit,
play with Thomas, stand and sit.

But now I'm big and not so white
Thomas doesn't sleep with me at night
I miss Thomas
I hope he's alright.

"Oh mein Gott!"
That's right my leg.
My left's not right
not right at all
and I know they won't come so there's no point to call
Nancy or Katjuscha
or Tosca my mum
who rejected me for reasons unknown.

Please don't be scared if you're watching me.
I'm sure I'll come right eventually.
Just one more turn to try to see...

"Mein Gott! Mein Gott!"
Now my front leg's gone funny
just like the back
so I can't turn in circles but
I was sick of that.
I'll just stand on my right side
till my left side comes right
but now everythings shaking
fight Knut fight

I'll stick out my right front leg
it's the only one working
it's hard to think now my head won't stop jerking
I wish Thomas was here
he'd know what to do
I'm just a polar bear
in Berlin Zoo.

Now I'm sliding still seated down the rocks by my pool
I can hear people screaming
as I give up on leaning
and then I join in screaming
"Oh Mein Gott"

I see blue sky and water as I sink on my back
And I can see Thomas.
I knew he'd come back.
He's smiling to tell me I've earned my keep
And he strums his guitar
to put me to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment